Last year was a great year in music. I have been feeling, in the last few years, that music needed to turn a corner and bring out something fresh and inspiring and I think last year was the start of that. As a result, I am eager to see what the next few years hold in new music. Below is my list of "Best Albums I Heard In 2012." This means that a couple of the albums, as you will see, actually released in 2011 but I didn't hear about them or listen to them till 2012. Because of their greatness, I have decided that they still need to go on this "Best Of" list. There is a little bit of everything on this list and I hope you find something to inspire you throughout the many music accompanied moments of your life. The list is in alphabetical order (waaay too difficult to try to put them in order of favorites) mainly because each album would be my favorite during different moments. One favorite for running on a sunny day, one favorite for running on a cloudy day. One favorite for driving to church and another for driving through the night on a road trip.
Best Albums I Heard In 2012:
1. Active Child- You Are All I See (actually came out 2011): This album fits any moment and has stationed itself as my go-to album in my collection. It never fails to inspire me.
2. Alt J- An Awesome Wave: This band is being heralded as the next Radiohead, I don't know about that but I sure am loving this record.
3. David Byrne & St. Vincent- Love This Giant: Many people are disappointed in this album but I am not. I love both of these artists and all their crazy-ness, so the two of them together is wonderful to me. You can decide for yourself.
4. Ellie Goulding- Halcyon: It blows my mind that this album is even on my list, I mean Ellie is pretty darn Pop sticky sweet but there is something about it that I love.
5. Half Moon Run- Dark Eyes: Ohhh the interesting production and vocal performances on this record. Love, Love, Love.
6. Hillsong Live- Cornerstone: Only 2 tracks to make it land on this list...they are that good.
7. James Vincent McMorrow- Early In The Morning (Released in 2011): Soft and beautiful.
8. Lost in the Trees- A Church That Fits Our Needs: This album has beauty and freshness combined.
9. Metric- Synthetica: This record is just flat out cool.
10. Nikki and The Dove- Instinct: This is the album fueling my runs lately.
11. Paper Route- The Peace Of Wild Things: This was the album I was most eager about releasing 2012. I had high expectations, so high in fact that I became a bit nervous thinking there was no way the album could live up to them, BUT ohhhh they did. There are so many great moments on this album. Ugh. So well done.
12. Sleeping At Last- Yearbook (actually came out nov 2011): I was slow to hear this record but happy once I found it. This one goes on and tension falls off.
All Sons & Daughters- The Longing
Nolita Knights- Distance Kills
Santigold- Master of My Make Believe
Mumford & Sons- Babel
Fiona Apple- The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do
With both of the above albums I felt like I needed to love them and rave about them in order to fit into the cool people club but you know what? I just didn't love them. I barely even like them. I would sit and listen and feel a bit like I was a townsperson in "The Emperors New Clothes." I don't think I should have to be brainwashed into thinking an album is brilliant, I think it should just BE brilliant. Ahhh, now you know. Can we still be friends?
Well here is my list. I hope you see some of your favorites on here as well as find some new music to inspire you. Give me your lists and the albums that you think I'm crazy for not including. Woohoo for great new music!!!